Is Downsizing Right for You?by Sue on January 12th, 2019
Bigger not Always Better for Boomers
As the population of Americans who are 55 or better rises, so does the number of people in this demographic who are in the market for a new Orlando home. And for a variety of reasons, many of these baby boomer buyers have one thing in mind for their new house: downsizing.
In this post, we’ll talk about the types of buyers who are looking to downsize and what the benefits are to those who take the plunge. The concept doesn’t appeal to everyone but approximately three-quarters of 55+ Orlando home buyers will choose a plan that’s smaller than where they currently live.
- Empty Nesters: These buyers bought a large home many years ago to raise a family. Now that their kids are all grown up and out of the house, there’s just no need for all the extra bedrooms.
- Active Adults: For some, the appeal of low-maintenance living is a real game changer. Spending less time working on and around the house means that there’s more time for hobbies and travel.
- Sun Seekers: Whether it’s a full-time move or just over the winter, people from colder climates often dream of owning a new house in Orlando to take advantage of the sunny Florida weather.
Why is Downsizing a Growing Trend?
While every buyer’s motivation is a little different, a few of the common benefits of downsizing include:
- No unused space – and remember that empty rooms you don’t use still cost money in utility bills
- Less time, energy and money spent doing landscaping or regular maintenance on an aging home
- Single-story floor plans are easier to navigate and having no stairs is a great benefit later in life
- More free time for hobbies and activities
- Lower property taxes
And more than just moving into a smaller home, boomers often seek out age-qualified communities where other residents are going through the exact same phase of life. Living with like-minded people isn’t just a convenience, either, it’s a whole lot of fun.
The Shift to Active-Adult Communities
An active-adult community is exactly what it sounds like. A community for active adults who are looking to stay busy, stay healthy and get more out of their next chapter. You’ll also hear them called 55+ communities, 55+ neighborhoods or age-qualified communities. Some people refer to them as ‘senior living’ but this isn’t really an accurate representation of what the lifestyle is like. If you visit an active-adult community you’re more likely to see residents laughing and having fun like young people – it’s not senior living at all.
Modern active-adult communities feature an incredible wealth of amenities – which plays into the downsizing trend even more. You don’t need a huge home if you spend most of your time socializing at the clubhouse, relaxing at the community pool, exploring the hiking trails or playing bocce, pickleball, tennis or golf.
Additional Benefits Include:
- Part or all yard maintenance is done for you
- Privacy and tranquility, often with gated security
- Full-time Lifestyle Director to plan activities, parties, classes and outings
- Being part of a community where it’s easy to make friends with others in your age group
Do I Have to be Retired to Buy at an Active-Adult Community?
Absolutely not. Many trailing boomers are still in the homestretch of their careers and won’t be retiring for another decade or so. Remember, active-adult living isn’t about slowing down. It’s about having more ‘me’ time.
Why Shop Active-Adult Communities in Florida?
Florida remains a popular destination for boomers as housing prices are very affordable and because the Sunshine State has so much to offer. From year-round subtropical weather to gorgeous beaches, theme parks, golf and so many other popular attractions. There’s a reason that vacationers travel from all over the world to spend their holidays here.
Currently, Taylor Morrison offers two beautiful 55+ options in the Orlando area. Solivita in Kissimmee and Vitalia at Tradition in Port St. Lucie. Both communities offer an incredible selection of resort-quality amenities.
- 36 holes of championship golf
- Two state-of-the-art fitness centers plus 14 swimming pools and spa
- Starlite Ballroom
- Village Center with three restaurants
- Softball, basketball, pickleball, tennis and bocce courts plus croquet lawn
- Horseshoe pits, billiards tables, table tennis and shuffleboard
- Community garden
- Open-air pavilions
- Multipurpose rooms plus computer labs and business centers
- Ceramic room with kilns plus art gallery
- Dedicated dog park
Vitalia at Tradition
- Captiva Club resident Clubhouse with on-site activity director
- Tennis, bocce and pickleball courts plus putting green
- Cybercafe, arts and crafts room and demonstration kitchen
- Billiards and dart room
- Fitness center and aerobics studio
- Heated pool
- Event lawn with fire pits
- Lakeside pavilion
Give Downsizing a Trial Run
At Taylor Morrison, we understand that the idea of moving into a smaller home at an action-packed community where there’s always something to do sounds great on paper – but it’s a big change from living in a traditional neighborhood and not a decision that should be made lightly.
And that’s why we’ve come up with our very popular Discovery Days program.
The way it works is simple. You stay for two nights and three days in a single-story new home at one (or both) of our Orlando age-qualified communities and you try out all the amenities just like you were a resident. Take a dip in the pool and bring your tennis racquet. While you’re here, we’ll give you a tour of several different sizes of model homes so you can get a feel for what a variety of downsized floor plans are like. You’ll probably be surprised at how spacious these open-concept homes really are.
There’s zero obligation to buy and our no pressure sales team will be here to guide you, not push you. After all, the fun you’ll have is all the convincing you’ll need!