Stretches to Help You Get a Good Night’s Sleepby Mary on February 14th, 2017
Mull this over tonight while you’re counting sheep: 68% of Americans in a Consumer Reports survey said they have trouble falling or staying asleep at least once a week. More than a quarter of them, 27%, reported struggling with sleep most nights. Does that describe you?
You might have already tried some combination of sleeping pills, a white noise machine, or special mattresses and pillows. If you’re having sleep issues, try fitting in a few minutes of bedtime yoga stretches into your routine. Stretching can relax you and help you get that good night’s sleep you dream of.
Try some of these yoga stretches at bedtime to relax and sleep better. Click through to see photos and instructions.
- Bound Angle – Sit on the floor, sit up straight and bring the soles of your feet together. You’ll be stretching several muscles and stretching your spine.
- Legs Up the Wall – Stretch your glutes and hamstrings with this pose that puts you up against a wall with the back of your legs resting against it.
- Spinal Twist – This one concentrates on your lower back, and you can even do it laying on your back in bed.
- Back Stretch – Simple and effective this knee-to-chest stretch is another great pose for relaxing your lower back.
- Thread-the-Needle – This feels great on the outer hips, but be gentle and only take it as far as what feels comfortable.
- Happy Baby – Do this stretch and you’ll be mimicking a baby grabbing its feet. Targets the spine, groin and hips.
- Fish – Hold this stretch for 30 seconds and your spine, neck, chest and shoulders will relax.
Just a few minutes of stretching at bedtime can mean a better sleep for the night. To learn more check these out: